Adelphi International is a partnership between Adelphi University and Shorelight Education. The mission of the International Accelerator Program is to immerse international students in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood in obtaining their degrees.
Adelphi International is seeking a year-round English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher to teach international students in the Academic English Program at Adelphi Manhattan. This program combines English language instruction, academic language development, and acculturation. Reporting to the Assistant Academic Director, ESL Teachers are responsible for holistically teaching listening, speaking, reading, writing, and grammar skills at all levels in a university-based, intensive ESL program, teaching EAP courses and/or other courses as assigned, participating in extracurricular events, and assuming responsibilities in materials development/coordination or other needed specialized areas.
Key Responsibilities and Expectations
The full-time instructional position is an exempt position calculated on a 40-hour work week, during which the following duties will be executed:
Teach applied integrated skills, grammar, and special academic topics to international students enrolled in the intensive English program.
Work in a team environment with other instructors and the Adelphi International team to prepare, select, and use appropriate teaching and learning materials for international students (including the use of textbooks, in-house materials, and self-created materials)
Develop relevant and appropriate lesson plans that incorporate effective teaching strategies and meet the individual needs of students
Assess students using high-quality formative and summative evaluations
Provide oral and written feedback to students and to relevant staff
Provide out-of-class academic support for students
Carry out administrative tasks associated with teaching and assessment, including, but not limited to: generating students' academic progress reports, submitting weekly grades, tracking attendance, and attending meetings with or about students
Provide teaching coverage in the absence of other colleagues
Participate in relevant social events and activities (e.g. accompanying trips)
Participate in and contribute to orientation sessions
Act as a positive ambassador for Adelphi International and Adelphi University
Participate in staff development and professional training as required
Attend university and program meetings as required
Qualifications and Selection Criteria
• Master's degree in TESOL or closely related field, such as (but not limited to) Applied Linguistics or Adult Education required
• Demonstrable knowledge of applied linguistics, second language acquisition, language-teaching methodologies, assessment, and curriculum/lesson planning; TEFL certifications (CELTA, DELTA, Bridge, or Oxford) are a plus
• Two years of related experience, including one year in an academic ESL program
• Overseas experience or experience teaching in multicultural/multilingual classrooms desired
• Excellent English ability, exceptional communication skills, and a dynamic, charismatic personality
• Competence in a foreign language preferred
• Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Adelphi International is an Equal Opportunity Employer