The International Center for Academic & Professional English (ICAPE) within the Office of International Affairs at Lehigh University comprises a dynamic group of instructors and administrators committed to excellence and best practices in the language and pragmatic instruction and support of Lehigh’s International Graduate and Undergraduate Students, including their integration into the University community. ICAPE at Lehigh features advanced level credit courses for matriculated students, as well as the pre-matriculation StepUp intensive English program, the ITA program, and year-round individual tutoring and workshops in the English Language Lab. Instructional Staff responsibilities cross all areas of ICAPE’s programs and include curriculum and instruction, assessment, administrative responsibilities and professional development activities.
Curriculum and instruction (50%)
* Each year from July to June, teach a minimum of three courses per 16 week semester (or the equivalent in instructional units), which may include a combination of credit and non-credit courses, ongoing seminars and workshops, as well as scheduled work with students at the English Language Lab, at the discretion of the Program Director
* Submit all student grades, evaluations and other student assessments by the stated deadlines as determined by the University or ICAPE
* Attend and participate in ICAPE program curriculum development, instructor and staff meetings, textbook selection, Portfolio evaluations, course assessments, orientations, graduations, committee work and other ICAPE program initiatives and activities.
*Assist with creation, design and implementation of new or revised ICAPE courses and programs that meet evolving student and institutional needs and goals
* Assist with assessing the English language proficiency of international students
* Administer, rate, report, develop, pilot and maintain all English proficiency assessments as specified by the Program Director
* Participate in international teaching assistant English fluency exam administrations as an ICAPE evaluator
* Assist with the creation, piloting and implementation of new English fluency assessments
* Assist with revisions of current English language assessments, including but not limited to the Test of Pedagogical Speaking Skills (TOPSS) design, descriptors and testing protocol
* Schedule a minimum of two drop-in office hour per week between the hours of 7:00am-6:30pm, Monday-Friday, when Lehigh University classes are in session, as approved by the Director
* Participate in student file preparation and maintenance in support of the ICAPE programs, as well as any other administrative duties
* Assist with ICAPE program tasks and activities that support the Program’s mission and the University’s internationalization efforts
* Work effectively as part of a collaborative and professional team to support the ICAPE unit
Professional Development (10%)
* With Program Director consultation and approval, actively pursue professional development to stay updated on current TESOL research, best practices, technology and other trends in TESOL through attending conferences and/or informational seminars, giving academic presentations and other related scholarly activities on or off-campus
* Serve on ICAPE and/or University committees and participate in initiatives, events, trainings and other activities that foster greater integration of international students and ICAPE’s programs within Lehigh and the broader higher education community
Master's Degree in TESOL, Applied Linguistics or Linguistics required; Three to five years related work experience; Knowledge of curriculum development and instruction; Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; Solid writing ability and organizational skills; Solid computer skills with experience using word processing and spreadsheet software
Successful completion of standard background checks and reports
About Lehigh University
The International Center for Academic and Professional English is more than English as a Second Language (ESL).
Part of a robust academic advising structure, we offer non-credit and credit courses, workshops, and tutoring to help multilingual speakers of English improve their writing and communication skills as well as their academic and social integration. We also offer intensive English pathway programs for high school students, conditionally admitted university students and professionals, and testing services.