Job Title: Academic English Instructor – Intensive English Program Summer 2017
Department: ONCAMPUS USA
Reports to: Center Director
Location: University of Rochester ONCAMPUS
Closing Date: Open until filled
Duration: Monday, June 12 - Friday, August 18, 2017
Interviews: Week Commencing May 22
Application: Please submit an up to date resume/curriculum vitae, covering letter and a personal statement outlining how your skills, experience, and personal attributes fit the position description.
University of Rochester ONCAMPUS
Cambridge Education Group (CEG), a leading provider of pre? and concurrent?university academic and English language courses, seeks Academic English Into develop and lead its new operation, University of Rochester ONCAMPUS (UROC) in partnership with University of Rochester (UR). University of Rochester ONCAMPUS will offer an Intensive English Program (IEP) to both University of Rochester students and students who have yet to start their college studies at undergraduate or graduate level. We will welcome our first students in 2017 for the summer semester.
The University of Rochester is a highly prestigious research-intensive institution, currently ranked 32nd in the United States by US News and World Report. The university offers close to 100 undergraduate majors and still maintains a collegial feel with a 10:1 student to teacher ratio. With over 250 student organizations and students from over 120 countries, the university offers diversity and a wealth of experiences to its students. Located in Western New York, just on Lake Ontario, Rochester is the state’s third-largest city. The city regularly hosts festivals and has beautiful parks, especially along the Genesee River. University of Rochester ONCAMPUS will offer a variety of programs including English language, content-based ESL, academic, cultural, and study skills support. ONCAMPUS students will receive high-quality English language instruction and cultural preparation, tailored to international students’ needs, to ensure they are prepared to succeed in their bachelor’s or master’s studies.
University of Rochester ONCAMPUS is seeking a full-time instructor to teach courses in the summer Intensive English Programs. The successful applicant will contribute to the teaching and learning of University of Rochester ONCAMPUS students. The following overview of responsibilities may be adjusted according to the program’s evolving needs.
Teaching and Curriculum Development
- Teach intermediate and advanced levels of English (including Creative & Critical Thinking, Academic Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing, Research Skills and University Success Seminar) to University of Rochester admitted international students from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds (approximately 16-25 contact hours, per week).
- Set challenging teaching and learning objectives that are relevant to all students in their courses, and use these teaching and learning objectives to plan lessons, and sequences of lessons, using formative and summative assessment methods
- Select and prepare resources, and plan for the effective organization, taking account of students' interests and their language and cultural backgrounds.
- Monitor attendance and student behavior, and evaluate student performance. All instructors are required to record the attendance of each student at the beginning of each class.
- Complete course syllabi according to the ONCAMPUS Academic Quality Assurance Manual procedures.
- Provide students with periodic progress reports
- Maintain communications with University of Rochester ONCAMPUS staff about student performance.
- Attend and participate in scheduled meetings as arranged.
- Participate in new student orientation and other relevant University of Rochester ONCAMPUS events.
Assessment and Advising
- Assist with testing and placement of entering and, as necessary, exiting students.
- Manage assessment tracking for all students in the program
- Assist the Center Director in holding mid-term advising meetings to support the overall academic achievements of students.
- Maintain a minimum of two office hours per week for student consultations throughout the program.