UOP International is a partnership between the University of the Pacific (UOP) and Shorelight Education. The mission of the program is to immerse first-year international students (graduate and undergraduate) in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood of obtaining their degrees at UOP.
UOP International seeks year-round English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructors to teach international students in the International Accelerator Program (IAP) and/or the Intensive English Program (IEP) at UOP International. These programs combine English Language instruction, academic language development, and acculturation. Reporting to the Academic Director, ESL Instructors are responsible for holistically teaching listening, speaking, reading, writing, and grammar skills at all levels in a university-based, intensive ESL program, teaching EAP courses, participating in extracurricular events, and assuming responsibilities in materials development/coordination or other needed specialized areas.
- Teach English for Academic Purposes to international students enrolled in the IEP and/or IAP
- Work in a team environment with other IAP instructors and the UOP International team to prepare, select, and use appropriate teaching and learning materials for international students (including the use of textbooks, in-house materials, and self-created materials)
- Develop relevant and appropriate lesson plans that provide effective teaching strategies and meet the individual needs of students
- Assess students and provide both formative and summative evaluations to a high standard
- Provide oral and written feedback to students and to relevant staff
- Provide out-of-class academic support for students
- Carry out administrative tasks associated with teaching and assessment, students' academic progress reports, weekly grades, attendance, and record of work
- Provide teaching coverage in the absence of other colleagues
- Participate in relevant social events and activities (e.g. accompanying trips)
- Participate in and contribute to orientation sessions
- Act as a positive ambassador for UOP International and University of the Pacific
- Participate in staff development and professional training as required
- Attend university and program meetings as required
- Master's degree in TESOL or closely related field, such as (but not limited to) Applied Linguistics or Adult Education required
- Demonstrable knowledge of applied linguistics, second language acquisition, language-teaching methodologies, assessment, and curriculum/lesson planning; TEFL certifications (CELTA, DELTA, Bridge, or Oxford) are a plus
- Two years of related experience, including one year in an academic ESL program
- Overseas experience or experience teaching in multicultural/multilingual classrooms desired
- Excellent English ability, exceptional communication skills, and a dynamic, charismatic personality
- Competency in a foreign language preferred
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
UOP International is an Equal Opportunity Employer.